- Recurrent anti-larval measures at weekly intervals.
- Environmental methods including source reduction by filling ditches, pits, low lying areas, deweeding, desilting, etc.
- Biological control of mosquito breeding through larvivorous fish.
- Anti-parasitic measures through 'detection' and 'treatment' of microfilaria carriers and disease person with DEC by Filaria Clinics in towns covered under the programme.
Annual Mass Drug Administration with single dose of DEC was taken up as a pilot project covering 41 million population in 1996-97 and extended to 74 million population. This strategy was to be continued for 5 years or more to the population excluding children below two years, pregnant women and seriously ill persons in affected areas to interrupt transmission of disease.
Interruption of transmission of filariasis by Annual MDA for 5 years or more to the population except:
- children below 2 years
- pregnant women
- seriously ill persons
(DEC + Albendazole in selected distt & DEC in other distt)
- Home based management of lymphoedema cases and
- up-scaling of hydrocele operations in the identified CHCs / District hospitals/ medical colleges.